The Filmbank's aim is to find an audience for independent, experimental Dutch films. 'Experimental' in the widest sense of the word, encapsulating work that is inspired by the classic avant-garde or work that explores the relationship between film and other art forms. Format and length are unimportant. Quality is. The Filmbank will showcase films that are unique in their unconventional subject matter, working method and form. Films that are so confusing, beautiful, harsh or absurd that they are difficult to forget.
De Filmbank’s main activity is the promotion and distribution of independent, unconventional Dutch films.
- Selection of recent films for distribution
- Offering prints for hire via websites, catalogue and database
- Promotion at national and international festivals
- Curating and organising of film-programmes
- Producing publications on Dutch avant-garde film
- Developing and programming www.filmbanktv.nl, where anybody, anywhere on the globe can watch films and video’s from the Filmbank collection as many times as they want – for free. Every month FilmbankTV will present a new compilation programme. Each programme lasts an hour and will be kept on line for two months.